Salary: £35,989.27 per annum + London weighting (£287.75 per month)
Shift hours: Full Time
Great Registered Mental Health and Learning Disability Nurses (RNMH & RNLD) are essential to ensuring a safe and caring rehabilitative environment in prison. They have a crucial role to play in promoting mental health and wellbeing to enable residents to engage in all aspects of rehabilitation so that they are successfully discharged in the community whilst engaged in purposely activities such as work.
What makes a great prison RNMH / RNLD?
We are looking for people who have a focus on continuous improvement and development of our Primary Mental Health Offering
Are you the sort of person who:
- Enjoys working with a range of departments such as education and custody?
- Is forward thinking with a holistic approach to care whilst always looking to improve?
- Always treats others fairly and with respect?
- Are you able to give continuity of care without judgement?
- Is quick to notice things, such as changes in people’s condition or when something isn’t quite right?
- Can easily connect and talk to all sorts of people from different backgrounds on their level?
- Keeps calm under pressure?
Why choose Sodexo?
We provide a safe and controlled working environment where you get to see the full cycle of patient care and work with a dedicated multidisciplinary team. You will have the opportunity to work independently, make your own decisions and have a family friendly work-life balance. Some of the benefits that we offer are:
- Excellent salary £35,352.92 per annum + London weighting (£287.75 paid monthly)
- Free on-site parking
- Free meals while on duty
- 25 days holiday plus 8 days bank holidays, this increases to 28 days plus 8 days bank holiday after 3 years of service. There is also the option to purchase up to an additional 5 days holiday.
- Maternity Pay – 12 weeks full pay reducing to 12 weeks half pay and bonus after 5 years’ service of 4 weeks’ pay.
- Sick pay Full pay for 4 weeks from 3 months service increasing with service length to full pay for 12 weeks with over 5 years’ service.
- Long service award
- Free learning and development
- Access to Sodexo Discounts – wide range of Holiday, travel and retail discounts
- Access to flexible benefits – this is via salary sacrifice where you can purchase a wide range of benefits including holidays, insurance and dental cover.
- Support in contributing ½ towards NMC fee’s
- Refer a friend to nursing bonus
- Day only shifts
- Staff will be allocated to attend training according to identified training needs and is based on skills gap analysis and service needs
- There is gym on site which staff can attend on their free times and you can also have subsidised gym membership in the community
We will consider applications for job share or part time hours which can be discussed at interview stage
What’s the job like?
Our nurses support the Primary Care provision within the prison environment. You will be joining a unique, exciting but challenging environment, where you will have a range of nursing duties, from health promotion to first response emergency care and will be central to the continued successful operation of the site. You will be expected to encourage patients to look after their health needs and become active with promotion. Daily, you will be seeing patients on your case load whilst also attending to mental health emergencies which require immediate assessment and intervention. You will be running depot clinics and at times expected to dispense medication, although this is not a core part of your role. You will contribute to several MDT meetings such as ACCT reviews, Separation and Care reviews, Inpatient’s Care Planning meeting, Safer Custody Meetings, and any other meetings which require Primary Mental Health intervention. You will work closely with the Mental Health In-Reach team (another provider) and the social care team (local council). You will be expected to use various assessment templates on SystmOne (electronic records) daily. You will receive weekly caseload supervision from the Mental Health Team Leader. You will be working closely with the Prison Officers and at times will be required to deliver training either on cases or specialist mental health theme.
Why be a prison RMHN?
You will be working in a dynamic environment that will encourage you to use a range of skills. Anything from Health promotion to medical emergencies, you will be delivering a broad spectrum of care. Mental Health promotion is key for the residents and you will be involved in promoting their involvement in self-care. Sodexo Justice aims to change lives for the better by reducing reoffending and improving the quality of life for those in our care. We deliver safe, effective and innovative care and community rehabilitation services that offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better.
- RNMH / RNLD – Registered Mental Health or Learning Disability Nurse
- Previous experience and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment managing both Mental and Learning disability patients
- Experience as a Band 5 equivalent nurse
- Up to date NMC registration
- Passionate and committed to the role we play in rehabilitating and maintaining the wellbeing of our women
- Desire to continuously improve yourself through further development as appropriate
You will need to be Registered Mental Health or Learning Disability Nurse. We will not be able to proceed with applications from student nurses for this position until you have qualified and have a valid NMC registration number
Previous experience of working in a prison environment is not essential as the prison will provide supervision and training.
Location: HMP Bronzefield, Ashford, Middlesex (close to Heathrow), England