About the role
Sense has an exciting opportunity for someone to join our team as a Community Engagement Officer, based Sense TouchBase Pears in Selly Oak, Birmingham. Its a fantastic time to join Sense as we have just released our new strategy, we are expanding and have great times ahead.
You will develop and run a successful community events programme, using Sense TouchBase Pears to connect with the people we support and the wider local community. You will play a key role in building strong partnerships with diverse communities, deliver inclusive projects and develop a strong customer voice.
This is a permanent full time position working 37.5 hours per week. We do require candidates to have full flexibility as our events can take place any day of the week, during the day, of an evening and of a weekend.
- Research local needs and interests and, together with local community providers, create and deliver a diverse range of inclusive, accessible activities
- Work with Sense art, sports and wellbeing team to integrate their services within the community programme
- Work with the Head of Volunteering to recruit volunteers and, where appropriate, staff to support activities
- Manage the community engagement budget, controlling and reporting costs to ensure the service is self – financing
- Event Management
- Support the delivery of the wider marketing and communications plan for Sense TouchBase Pears, of which the community engagement programme is an integral part.
For a full job description please see below.
Key skills and experience required
- Experience of project managing and organising events that require working with a diverse range of people
- Budget management experience
- Marketing / PR experience
- You will have a genuine interest in promoting equality, diversity and inclusion and be passionate about community engagement
- Able to champion Sense values and demonstrate a positive attitude towards working with people who have multi sensory needs and complex disabilities; and a commitment to ensuring barriers to inclusion are overcome and equal opportunities for everyone.
- Due to the nature of the role travel across the West Midlands will be a requirement of the role; so a driver with access to their own vehicle is desirable. However is not essential.
For everyone living with complex disabilities. For everyone who is deafblind. Sense is here to help people communicate and experience the world. We believe that no one, no matter how complex their disabilities, should be isolated, left out, or unable to fulfil their potential.
Working at Sense can be incredibly rewarding; we offer the opportunity to work in a large, diverse and successful charity where people can develop their skills, knowledge and careers in a supportive and flexible environment. In addition we have excellent training and development, the opportunity for you to join our Group Personal Pension scheme and a generous annual leave entitlement.
Please use the link below to complete your application. Managers will use your application to shortlist candidates for interview; in relation to the Personal Specification. Therefore, it is very important you complete this section thoroughly. We would recommend that you read the candidate guidelines, job description and person specification (found at the base of this advert) before applying.
Please note to avoid disappointment, we advise you to submit your application as soon as possible as we reserve the right to close posts at any time.
No agency submissions please: any submissions without prior authorisation from the Sense Recruitment Team will be treated as our own and as such no fee will be payable.
If you require any further assistance, please contact the Recruitment Team on 0121 415 6735 or email@example.com
Sense is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable children and adults and expects all employees to share this commitment. Therefore, all offers of employment, where appropriate, are subject to a DBS check; level dependant on the nature of the role.
Sense is committed to equality of opportunity, and to promoting and celebrating the diversity of staff, volunteers and the people we work with. We value everyone’s contribution and ensure people are given the opportunity to realise their potential. We will promote equality and diversity in all that we do and the work we do in partnership with others. For more information please visit: https://www.sense.org.uk/about/equality-and-diversity/
Not for Profit and Charities